Seattle, United States
Jonathan Bensky retired from the Foreign Commercial Service in 2008 after 34 years promoting US exports and providing assistance, advice and counsel to American businesses overseas. His service includes 20 years as a Senior Commercial Officer in the US Mission to the European Union in Brussels and the US Embassies in Kuala Lumpur, Manila, New Delhi and Singapore, where he was responsible for the full range of U.S. Department of Commerce programs supporting U.S. exporters and investors. His 25 years of experience in South and Southeast Asia also includes the Peace Corps in Nepal and the Department of State in Chennai and Colombo. At various times he has spoken Nepali, Hindi, Tamil, Malaysian and French.
From 2010 to 2011, he served as Senior Commercial Advisor to the National Center for APEC in Seattle, where he was responsible for small business initiatives in support of the U.S. as host nation for APEC 2011.
Mr. Bensky is involved in a number of Seattle area international business and trade related organizations and activities.
Professional and Civic Activities:
- Washington District Export Council
- Advisory Council, Seattle Trade Development Alliance
- Advisory Council, Center for International Education and Research, Foster School of Business, University of Washington
- Washington State—India Business Council
- Seattle Asia Business Forum
- Consular Association of Washington
- B.A., Economics, Oakland University
- M.A., Economics, University of Hawaii/East West Center.
- Department of State Foreign Service Institute Senior Seminar
- American Institute of Indian Studies graduate fellowship in Hindi.