Senior Advisor, Latin America & Caribbean
Resident: Seattle, Washington; permanent visa, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Mr. Murphy is actively engaged in Brazil and Latin America for 40+ years, recently advising international language institutes, software, clean energy, Brazilian media firms and the Inter-American Development Bank‘s Multilateral Investment Fund in Washington D.C. He has more recently visited the Arch Diocese of Havana as well as Cuban universities, travel, film and television organizations and recently lectured in Cuban and Mexican universities.
During the G.W. Bush Administration, he served as Regional Director, Inter-Americas & Pacific, the Peace Corps, supervising 2,200 volunteers and 1,000 staff in 23 countries in Latin America and Pacific Islands. In the previous George H.W. Bush Administration, he was appointed Director, Worldnet Television, USIA (now State Department) managing 320 employees and its satellite TV network. Achievements of these political appointments included negotiating a new Mexico-USA volunteer agreement, emphasizing I.T. and small business development, and creating satellite feeds to emerging Latin American and Eastern European cable TV systems.
Mr. Murphy also spearheaded Brazil’s first international conference on financial remittances from abroad, mobilizing high level government, multilateral and private banking support for this initiative, with Rio’s Fundação Getulio Vargas and the Inter-American Development Bank. In the 1980’s, Paramount Pictures and Universal Studios appointed him Vice President, Latin America, responsible for starting up ten video operating companies, in alliance with the Motion Pictures Association, Latin American producer and copyright trade associations. In the mid-1970s, he served as Chief Lending Officer, Rio de Janeiro branch, BankBoston, and later, Vice President, Multinational Division, financing investment and trade operations for select Fortune 500 companies worldwide.
Mr. Murphy provides high level entree to government and business leaders in all Latin America’s major markets—especially in Brazil, Mexico and Cuba—with longstanding personal relationships throughout the Americas. Special expertise includes verifying bona fides of potential partners, negotiating IP licensing and joint-venture accords, starting up companies in sometimes ‘hostile’, inflationary and bureaucratic environments of ‘Mercosur’ and CAFTA countries.
Mr. Murphy is fluent in Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, French, and has basic knowledge of Arabic.
Professional and Civic Activities:
- Presenter, “Doing Business in 21st Century South America”, Dept. of State, WA Dept of Commerce.
- Founder, the Pixote Literacy Fund, Partners of the Americas Foundation (Washington DC); current board member.
- Active mentor and volunteer teacher, youths at risk, in Seattle, Miami, and Rio de Janeiro school systems.
- Member, AIESEC Advisory Board, Seattle, and first AISEC exchange student to Sao Paulo, Brazil.
- Federal Communication Commission task force member, Hispanic ownership in broadcast stations.
- Adjunct Professor, Seattle University’s Albers School of Business & Economics; previously at Howard University, Harvard’s Kennedy School of Government.
- Chapter Advisor, Phi Kappa Psi Fraternity, University of Washington
- M.B.A., Finance, Columbia University.
- B.A., Economics & History, University of Washington.