PNWA Representative: Brazil
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Steve Solot is currently President of the Rio de Janeiro Film Commission, the official, combined municipal and state government office for all audiovisual production needs within the state of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, including permits, locations, incentives and police assistance.
Mr. Solot is also President of the Latin American Training Center (LATC), a regional media training and consulting center in Rio de Janeiro, specialized in creative training programs and intellectual property rights protection (IPR) for audiovisual content producers in Latin America and Spain. LATC is affiliated with CILECT, the International Association of Film and Television Schools, and maintains formal agreements with: IFTA-Los Angeles (Independent Film and Television Alliance) Foundation, NALIP-Los Angeles (National Assn. of Latino Independent Producers), IFP-NY (Independent Feature Project), FIA-Valencia, Spain (Fundación de Investigación Audiovisual) and EGEDA-Madrid (Entidad de Gestión de los Derechos de los Productores), MBS-Madrid (Media Business School).
Prior to establishing the LATC, he served for over 20 years as Senior VP of Latin American Operations of the Motion Picture Association – MPAA, the US film industry trade association that represents the major Hollywood studios: Buena Vista International (Disney), Sony Pictures Releasing International Corporation, Paramount Pictures Corporation, Twentieth Century Fox International Corporation, Universal International Films, Inc., and Warner Bros. International Theatrical Distribution. In that capacity Mr. Solot was responsible for government relations, as well as supervision and management of MPAA operations in all territories throughout the region in all-media sectors, including: theatrical, home entertainment, broadcast television, Pay-TV and protection of intellectual property rights in digital environments.
Prior to joining the Motion Picture Association, Mr. Solot served as loan officer and economist in the Rio de Janeiro branch of the Bank of Boston, Consultant and Professor at the Center for Foreign Trade Studies (FUNCEX) and the Center for Joint Latin American Economic Integration Studies (ECIEL) in Rio.
Steve Solot holds MA degrees in Economics from Boston University, and Latin American Studies, from the University of the Pacific.
Memberships and affiliations:
- US member of the Fulbright Commission of Brazil, 1999-2010
- Vice-President and Director, American Chamber of Commerce, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, 2004
- President, Board of Directors, American School of Rio de Janeiro, 2002-04
- Lecturer, Fundação Getulio Vargas, Film & Television Business, 2003-04
- Chairman, Anti-piracy Committee, American Chamber of Commerce, São Paulo, Brazil, 2006
- Coordinator, US Delegation, US-Mexico Bilateral Film Industry Committee, Mexico City Los Angeles (2003-08)
- Chair, Intellectual Property Rights Committee, American Chamber of Commerce, 2007present.
- Member, Board. of Directors, Brazilian Assn. of Intellectual Property Rights ABPI (current)
Languages: English (native), Portuguese and Spanish (full fluency)
Mr. Solot is a consultant and frequent lecturer in seminars and multi-lateral meetings on audiovisual co-production legislation, intellectual property rights, digital content and technology, and general film industry issues.