Stephen E. Murphy
Senior Advisor, Latin America & Caribbean
Seattle and Rio de Janeiro
Mr. Murphy is actively engaged in Brazil and Latin America for 40+ years, recently advising bio-tech, software, clean energy, Brazilian media firms, ESL institutes and the Inter-American Development Bank’s Multilateral Investment Fund in Washington D.C.
During G.W. Bush Administration, he served as Director, Inter-Americas & Pacific Region, the Peace Corps, supervising 2,200 volunteers and 1,000 staff in 23 countries. In the previous George H.W. Bush Administration, he was appointed Director, Worldnet Television, USIA (now State Department) managing 320 employees and its satellite TV network. Achievements of these political appointments included negotiating a new Mexico-USA volunteer agreement, emphasizing I.T. and small business development, and creating satellite feeds to emerging Latin American, E. European cable TV systems.
Mr. Murphy also spearheaded Brazil’s first international conference on financial remittances from immigrants abroad, mobilizing high level government, multilateral and private banking support for this initiative, with Rio’s Fundação Getulio Vargas and the Inter-American Development Bank. In the 1980’s, Paramount Pictures and Universal Studios appointed him Vice President, Latin America, responsible for starting up ten video operating companies, in alliance with the Motion Pictures Association, Latin American producer and copyright trade associations. In the mid-1970s, he served as Chief Lending Officer, Rio de Janeiro branch, BankBoston, and later, Vice President, Multinational Division, financing investment and trade operations for select Fortune 500 companies worldwide.
Mr. Murphy provides entrée to government and business leaders in major Latin American markets – especially in Brazil, Colombia and Chile. He maintains longstanding personal relationships throughout the Americas, helping to verify bona fides of potential partners, to negotiate IP licensing and joint-venture accords. His expertise includes starting up firms and non-government organizations in inflationary and bureaucratic environments of ‘Mercosur’ and CAFTA countries.
Mr. Murphy is fluent in Spanish, Portuguese and French. He is author of On the Edge: An Odyssey.
Professional and Civic Activities:
- Presenter, “Doing Business in 21st Century South America”, Dept. of State, WA Dept of Commerce.
- Founder, the Pixote Literacy Fund, Partners of the Americas Foundation (Washington DC); board member.
- Active mentor and volunteer teacher, youths at risk, in Seattle, Miami, and Rio de Janeiro.
- Member, AIESEC Advisory Board, Seattle, and first AISEC exchange student to Sao Paulo, Brazil.
- Federal Communication Commission task force member, Hispanic ownership in broadcast stations.
- Adjunct Professor, Seattle University’s Albers School of Business & Economics; Howard University.
- M.B.A., Finance, Columbia University.
- B.A., Economics & History, University of Washington.